Leafy Green Pie with an Olive Oil Crust
For the Olive Oil Pastry1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour 1/4 cup olive oil 1/2 tsp salt 1 tbsp red wine vinegar 3/4 cup cold water
For the Pie Filling2 1/2 lbs of greens (I used a mixture of kale, chard and spinach) 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil 2 cups of onions, chopped 2 cloves of garlic, minced 2 tbsp of dill, chopped 2 tbsp of parsley, chopped 4 eggs, beaten 6 oz feta, crumbled Salt and pepper to taste 1 tsp dried oregano
- First make your pie crust.
- In a stand mixer or food processor mix together the flours and salt.
- With the machine running dribble in the olive oil, vinegar and water being careful not to over mix the dough which can make it tough
- Turn the dough out onto a floured board and knead briefly only as much as it needs to come together
- Divide the dough into two discs, dust with flour and cover and put in the fridge for at least an hour.
- In the meantime pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees
- Take the stems of the greens and blanch them for 2 minutes in a large pot of boiling, salted water
- Remove them from the water and immediately plunge them into a bowl of cold water so they retain their vivid color
- When they are cool squeeze out the excess water and then chop them. Combine with the chopped dill and parsley and set aside
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and saute the onions over a low heat until they are soft and transparent.
- Add the garlic and continue to saute for a couple of minutes
- Add in the greens and make sure they get completely coated with the olive oil and then take the pan off the heat
- Beat the eggs in a bowl large enough to take all the greens and crumble the feta cheese into this mixture
- Pour the greens into the egg and cheese mixture, add salt, pepper and the oregano
- Roll out the pie dough and line a greased 10′ pie dish
- Add the greens mixture
- Roll out the rest of the pie dough and add the top to the pie.
- Brush the top of the pie with olive oil and make a small slash in the center for steam to escape
- Bake the pie for 50 – 60 minutes and serve with a tomato salad