I love Italian Wedding Soup; this healthy version uses ground turkey instead of beef and is packed with veggies for their nutritional value. I also tossed in some pearl barley as a healthier alternative to the pasta used in most Italian Wedding Soup recipes. So yummy!
Italian Wedding Soup
- 1/2 pound uncooked ground turkey breast (preferably organic)
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp dried panko bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- 8 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 3 cups kale, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup daikon radish, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1 stick of celery, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp pearl barley
- In a medium bowl, combine turkey, egg white, bread crumbs, cheese, oregano, and garlic powder; shape into 3/4-inch balls.
- Spray some olive oil in a large cast-iron pot and saute the onion over low heat until transparent.
- Add the carrots, celery, daikon, red bell pepper and saute for 2 minutes
- Add boiling broth and stir in barley and simmer for 5 minutes
- Add the kale and meatballs.
- Return soup to boiling and then reduce heat to medium. Cook at a slow boil for 15 minutes.
- Soup is done when meatballs float to the top the kale is wilted and the barley is soft.
Calories per serving: 170