Italian Wedding SoupServes 6
1/2 pound uncooked ground turkey breast (preferably organic)
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
2 Tbsp dried panko bread crumbs
1 1/2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Salt and pepper
8 cups fat-free chicken broth
3 cups kale, thinly sliced
1/2 cup daikon radish, thinly sliced
1/3 cup red bell pepper diced
1 stick of celery, thinly sliced
1/2 cup onions, thinly sliced
1/3 cup carrots, thinly sliced
3 tbsp pearl barley
- In a medium bowl, combine turkey, egg white, bread crumbs, cheese, oregano and garlic powder; shape into 3/4-inch balls.
- Spray some olive oil in a large caste iron pot and saute the onion over a low heat until transparent.
- Add the carrots, celery, daikon, red bell pepper and saute for 2 minutes
- Add boiling broth and stir in barley and simmer for 5 minutes
- Add the kale and meatballs.
- Return soup to boiling and then reduce heat to medium. Cook at a slow boil for 15 minutes.
- Soup is done when meatballs float to the top the kale is wilted and the barley is soft.