Banana Bread for Allergy Sufferers (gluten-free, grain-free, egg-free and dairy free)
Some of our patients have allergies to wheat, dairy and eggs. In fact I’m seeing more people with these kinds of sensitivities, which makes me wonder if these foods are creating inflammation in a way they didn’t used to, because of modern farming and food production methods. Personally I feel better if I follow a paleo-style diet, which is largely grain-free, so here’s my version of Paleo Banana Bread.
3/4 cup of almond flour
1/4 cup of coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon cardamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice
2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup of egg replacer. I used 1 tsp of The Vegg – Vegan Egg Yolk
with 1/4 cup of water
2 very ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup of maple syrup
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and oil a 9 x 5 loaf pan with coconut oil.
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a medium bowl – both flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cardamon, and allspice.
- Whisk together the wet ingredients in a jug – coconut oil, eggs, bananas, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix together with a whisk or hand blender.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes – 1 hour. It’s done when a knife put into the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Let it cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before tipping it onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Makes: 1 loaf