These undeniably painful times are a call to all of us to search our hearts and act in a way that creates meaningful change so that collectively we can build a more just and equitable world.
Here at Yinova, we are committed to being a voice against systemic racism and police brutality as well as the fear and division that we are all currently experiencing. As this landscape continues to evolve, we will continue to be transparent and communicate the ways in which we are offering support, solidarity, and love to our community and beyond.
Additionally, as healers, we are devoted to caring for our community in any and all ways that we can. If you are feeling anxious or overwhelmed and would like to speak to someone, please reach out to us. We are here to support you.
We are committed to enacting change, both in our internal culture and practices as well as the way we serve our larger community. We have pledged to focus on five key areas (listed below) and are approaching these areas as a group with input from everyone at Yinova from practitioners to the front desk to our administrative team. Together we are creating goals both as individuals and as a center, and we will strive to hold ourselves accountable. You can read more about our commitment to anti-racism here.
- Education: We will take part in anti-racism training as a team and we will also identify and provide education for ourselves on key issues, including anti-racism and bias, inequities in the healthcare system, and in maternal and reproductive health in particular.
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Awareness – Our Workforce: We are committed to fostering a more inclusive organization and we will take time to evaluate our current practices for bias and look for ways to improve our hiring pipeline across all positions.
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Awareness – Our Environment & Communication: We are committed to cultivating a more inclusive patient community. We will evaluate our current communications and environment for bias and seek to make appropriate changes.
- Outreach & Service: We will identify organizations aligned with reproductive justice that we can support, either through volunteer efforts, fundraisers, or donations. In addition, to amplify the service initiatives of our team members or community.
- Advocacy: We will look at the ways we can use our platform, reach, and events to foster a more inclusive healthcare community.
ACTIONS WE CAN ALL TAKE
Below are some examples of worthwhile organizations that are educating and advocating for change:
- Donate to George Floyd’s memorial fund.
- Help support medical volunteers, like the Northstar Health Collective.
- Join Campaign Zero, a platform of research-based policy solutions to end police brutality in America.
- Find and sign petitions that you feel passionate about.
- Donate to local organizations that are working to provide bail money for protestors who have been arrested.
- Subscribe to ColorLines Magazine published by Race Forward.
We welcome feedback as well as guidance on further actions we can all take. Please email email@example.com with any ideas, thoughts, readings, or whatever else you have in mind.