Joe’s Braised Greens1 bunch kale or chard, cleaned 1 Tbsp olive oil, cold pressed ½ Cup chopped carrot ½ Cup chopped celery ½ onion, chopped 1 clove garlic 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar 2 Tbsp honey 3 Cups chicken stock, vegetable stock or water (or any combination of liquids that equal 3 cups) ¼ Cup chicken stock, vegetable stock or water for deglazing 2 strips cooked turkey bacon, (optional) 1 t ground pepper & 1 t kosher salt or to taste
- Place oil in large skillet and place on medium-low heat. Add onions, carrot and celery. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until onion is transparent.
- While cooking, chop up greens so they can fit into skillet.
- Add greens to pan with onions, carrot and celery and turn up heat to high. Sauté for about 1 minute, or until greens wilt.
- Add 3 Cups stock or water, vinegars, honey and garlic to pan. Bring to a boil and then turn heat to medium-low.
- Cook for about 1 hour or until the liquid in the pan becomes a glaze. Add optional meat (crispy turkey bacon crumbled) and sauté the greens over high heat for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add remaining stock to deglaze pan. Serve.